VEGETABLE PRODUCTIONTRAINING COURSE
This is a non-credit bearing course under AGRI SETA. Duration: 4 days
This course is designed to provide you with an introduction to vegetable crops and the theoretical knowledge and hands-on experience required for successfully producing them. We will be spending most of our time learning the elements of successful vegetable production including the what, where, when and how of growing specific crops.
Upon completion one would be able to:
- Use the different vegetable planting methods
- Understand climatic conditions
- Manage soil, water & pests in vegetable production
- Conduct crop rotation
- Manage harvesting of vegetables
- Harvest and grade vegetables for the market
- Introduction to vegetable crops – Vegetable classification, production statistics, and current markets.
- Location and size of the vegetable industry
- Production and management
- Soil management
- Fertilization practices, composts
- Tillage, cover cropping, weed management
- Crop rotation
- Irrigation practices and techniques (includes hydroponics)
- Integrated Pest Management
- Postharvest handling/storage
- Marketing opportunities
Course involves visits to vegetable production sites to observe/experience and learn from growers and entrepreneurs in the field of vegetable production
Total fees: R600 per learner
Fee covers the following items:
• Learning material
• Learner Portfolios
• Facilitation and Assessment.
WHO THIS COURSE WILL BENEFIT
Farmers or farm workers, farming with tunnels.