HARVESTING AND POST-HARVEST HANDLING OF VEGETABLES TRAINING COURSE
This is a non-credit bearing course under AGRI SETA. Duration: 4 days
The way vegetables are treated during and after harvesting heavily influences quality and shelf life. The general rules for harvesting are usually better known than product specific post harvest treatments for best results. Most vegetables are also sorted and classed in a specific way, packed into set materials and weights. Non-conformance to these ‘rules of the market’ can result in lower prices or even outright product rejection.
Today’s consumers shop to a large extent with their eyes. Packaging for retail therefore works with appearance to influence purchasing decisions. There are no substitutes for cleanliness and quality but good presentation can be learned and applied. This training course reinforces existing knowledge in good harvesting practices, addresses quality and hygiene issues in vegetable packaging and finishes with guidelines for retail presentation.
Upon completion one would be able to:
- Use appropriate tools / equipment for pre-determined harvesting method
- Carry out sampling for maturity indexing according to pre-determined requirements.
- Harvest crops following specific prescribed procedures.
- Adhere to personal health, hygiene and safety during harvesting.
- Dispose of waste.
- Care for and maintain equipment used during harvesting under close supervision
- Plan harvests for best quality and freshness of products
- Store and cure produce in most suitable environment available
- Clean, sort and pack staple vegetables to generally accepted specifications
- Adhere to basic hygiene and safety rules for food processing
- Recognise good and poor product presentation
- Beware of negative aspects of plastic packaging
- Session 1: Harvesting and Harvesting Equipment
- Session 2: Sampling for maturity Indexing
- Session 3: Crop Harvesting
- Session 4: Harvesting Safety and Hygiene
- Session 5: Waste Disposal
Course involves visits to vegetable production sites to observe/experience and learn from growers and entrepreneurs in the field of vegetable production
Total fees: R600 per learner
Fee covers the following items:
• Learning material
• Learner Portfolios
• Facilitation and Assessment.
WHO THIS COURSE WILL BENEFIT
Farmers or farm workers, farming with tunnels.